Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Home Ownership

I was discussing rent a few months ago with some friends and did a quick calculation in my head. I almost died when I realized that in just one year Jimmy and I had spent almost $20,000. What a waste. Jimmy had already been talking about buying a house, so we started looking. It was a horrendous process. It seems like everything in the DC area is either brand new renovated and crazy expensive or run down, moldy, back of the house literally falling off and only slightly crazy expensive. Those rare gems that we did find disappeared overnight. There is a major economic crisis going on, and yet people are getting into bidding wars. We put an offer on one and finally gave up the fight after increasing our budget over thirty thousand.

But it finally did happen. A house went on the market on a Thursday. We went and looked Friday and had an offer in right away. I really think if we hadn't moved on it so quick, we would have lost it.

The house is great. It had been flipped, so we don't really have much to do to it. Everything is brand new on the inside. 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bath. Perfect. The yard needs some work, but its a decent sized yard and Jimmy and I will enjoy working it.





5 comments:

  1. I love it! I can't wait to see what you do with the yard and all the other fun items!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You own a house!!! That is so cool. And I thought you and I would never grow up, but look at us now... Its kinda bitter sweet isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh i frickin love it! i so want to come see, why must we live so far apart :( congrats and i can't wait to see y'all in a little over a month, utah here we come ;) miss ya love ya. love the place! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved getting to see your home - I"ve been telling everyone what a great job you did decorating it -- congrats again on being homeowners :)

    ReplyDelete